Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Raspberry (or any fruit) syrup

1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.
Stir in water.
Over medium heat, bring mixture to a boil.
Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
Stir in the raspberries.

 My Comments:
The reviews on this recipe said it was runny, so I did rounded tablespoons of cornstarch.  Worked great.
I smooshed the raspberries before adding them in, and then ran the finished syrup through my strainer (picture below) to get the seeds out.   I had to take a spoon and scrape the bottom of the strainer to get all the syrup through.  The seeds plug up the holes.  :)   I would do the same with blueberries.  Smoosh them, cook it, and run it through the strainer to strain out the skins.
I didn't measure it exactly, but I would say it makes about 16 ounces of syrup.  I doubled it and filled up a 24 ounce syrup bottle, and still had some left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment