Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pan-Roasted Chicken With Lemon-Garlic Green Beans


When I planned our menus this week, I picked a bunch of new recipes I found online or that others had sent me.   I've looked at this one several times but some of the reviewers said it was too lemony.   I finally decided to go ahead and try it.  I love that I made it all in one pan and it was enough food for all of us with no leftovers.  It came together really fast.

Well, it got mixed reviews.  It was definitely a little too lemony for me.  I ate it and it was fine, but if I were to make it again, I would use chicken broth in the tossing mixture but still put the lemons on the bottom of the pan.  If you really love lemon - keep it this way.

I also added some fresh rosemary to the tossing mixture because I had some. Yummy.  Fresh herbs really add to the flavor.

The kids do not like fresh green beans.   I decided to try it anyway, and the kids still didn't like the fresh green beans.  If I did this again I would either use a different vegetable or steam the green beans first so that they come out softer.

Also, I did not remove the chicken and it was overcooked and dry.  So, don't forget to remove the chicken.  (Though I would probably put it in the oven without the chicken and then 10-15 minutes later put the chicken on so that it comes out of the oven at the same time.   The way they do it, the chicken has 10 minutes to get cold.)  I used boneless skinless chicken breasts, rather than the bone in with skin.  Now that I think about it, If I had used chicken with a skin it might have retained the moisture better.



6  tablespoons  olive oil
2 lemons, 1 thinly sliced, 1 juiced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1  teaspoon  kosher salt
1/2  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
3/4  pound  trimmed green beans
8 small red potatoes, quartered
4 chicken breasts (bones left in, with skin, about 3 1/4 pounds)

Directions

    Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large baking dish or cast-iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Arrange the lemon slices in a single layer in the bottom of the dish or skillet.
    In a large bowl, combine the remaining oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper; add the green beans and toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the green beans and arrange them on top of the lemon slices. Add the potatoes to the same olive-oil mixture and toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, arrange the potatoes along the inside edge of the dish or skillet on top of the green beans. Place the chicken in the same bowl with the olive-oil mixture and coat thoroughly. Place the chicken, skin-side up, in the dish or skillet. Pour any of the remaining olive-oil mixture over the chicken.
    Roast for 50 minutes. Remove the chicken from the dish or skillet. Place the beans and potatoes back in oven for 10 minutes more or until the potatoes are tender. Place a chicken breast on each of 4 serving plates; divide the green beans and potatoes equally. Serve warm.

Nutritional Information

    Per Serving
    Calories 687
    Calcium 86mg
    Carbohydrate 20g
    Cholesterol 181mg
    Fat 37g
    Fiber 4g
    Iron 4mg
    Protein 67mg
    Sat Fat 8g
    Sodium 735mg

No comments:

Post a Comment