Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Peppermint Bark


This is a relatively easy candy to make, it's no fail (always turns out), and everyone I give it to raves over it.  Thought I'd share it with you.

Let me give you the recipe the way it was given to me, then I will tell you how I changed it.

2 lbs white chocolate - chopped 1/2" pieces
12 large candy canes
1/2 tsp peppermint oil (best).  You can use extract, but it's not as good.  Use 3 1/2 tsp if you are using extract.

Peppermint oil is usually found in baking stores like Williams and Sonoma, but you can find it in some craft stores (like AC Moore).

Use a Double Boiler:  Metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water.

1.  Line 11 x 17" baking sheet with parchment.  Set aside.

2.  Double Boiler - melt white chocolate, stir constantly.

3.  With Chefs knife or meat tenderizer, cut or pound candy into 1/4 inch pieces.

4.  Stir the pieces of candy canes and peppermint oil into the melted chocolate.  Remove from heat and pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet.  Spread evenly.  Chill until firm.

5.  Break into pieces and serve.  Store in airtight containers in refrigerator for up to 1 week.

My Changes:

I always chop the candy canes before I start melting chocolate.

I buy the candy melts from the local craft store because they are MUCH cheaper than buying baking chocolate bars and it's microwaveable.  Either AC Moore or Michaels.   So, I microwave the chocolate (following directions on the candy melt package) until it's melted (stirring frequently), dump in oil and chopped candy canes, and spread on the big cookie sheet.  From there, it's the same.  Spread it out on the parchment, put in fridge until it's hard, then break into pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment