Thursday, May 24, 2012

Chicken Taco Rice:


from Jewelie Rhodes

Joining Weight Watchers, I realized that instant rice is very high in points - higher than regular rice.  When I made this tonight, I added a little broth (just what it needed) and used cooked/regular rice instead of instant rice.  It was fantastic and I actually liked the flavor better.  You don't need a full 14 ounces of broth with cooked regular rice  Just pour in what you need to make it moist.  You know how when you make hamburger helper and it has that processed aftertaste?  I noticed that with instant rice that wasn't there tonight.   We love the change.  

I also added a can of black beans (recommendation from Jewelie - a change she's made since giving me the recipe).  Yummy!   I love black beans.

You could add other veggies, too, like onions if you wanted.

1 lb chicken breast filets
2 T oil
14 oz can chicken broth
8 oz can tomato soup
1 envelope taco seasoning
12 oz can corn, drained
1 red or green bell pepper
1 1/2 cups uncooked instant rice

cheddar cheese, shredded
tortilla chips
sour cream

Rinse chicken and pat dry, slice into strips. Stir fry in hot oil in skillet until light brown.  Add broth, tomato soup, and taco seasoning.  Bring to boil.  Reduce heat.  Simmer covered for 5 minutes, stir in corn and bell pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Stir in uncooked rice.  Cover and remove from heat.  Let stand for 5 minutes (covered).  Fluff with fork.

You sprinkle the cheese on top.  I mixed a little sour cream in and ate it with a spoon.  My family ate it like a dip, using the chips to scoop it up.  (I'm trying to eat less carbs so that's why I went with the spoon.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment