Sunday, May 13, 2012

Taco Soup

from Shauna Hostetler

When we were moving in 2003 from one house to another, I had one of the nicest surprises I've ever had.  I was so tired and exhausted, cleaning the old house.  I walked into the new house knowing everything was in boxes and everyone was hungry, to find this soup, salad and dessert on my counter.  I had no idea she was plotting this plan.  Her hubby was part of the muscle crew hauling boxes, so he called her when they were at our new house and she snuck over.   Besides the fact that this stew is extremely yummy, I just feel all happy inside when I eat it because it reminds me of that sweet act of kindness that meant so very much to an exhausted mom.

1 1/2 ground beef, cooked and drained
1 chopped onion (cooked with the ground beef)
2-3 packets of ranch dressing mix
2 envelopes of mild taco seasoning
(you pour the mixes over the meat while it is cooking) then dump the meat/seasonings/onion in your crock pot and add:
1 can garbonzo beans
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
3 cans shoepeg white corn (the cans are a bit smaller than regular canned
corn.)
2 cans rotel  (rotel is tomatoes and chilies mixed. You can buy mild, regular or hot depending on your tastes.  It's in the tomato section of the grocery store.)
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
3 cups water

This fills up my 6 quart crockpot almost to the very top!

Simmer in your crockpot for at least a few hours.  Serve with chips.... I prefer the scoop kind.  Either tostitoes or fritos.  You can put grated cheese on top, too.  Depends on what you like.

 Enjoy!  And, if you try it, I'd love to hear what you think about it!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment