Sunday, May 13, 2012

Pigeon Peas and Rice

Good luck finding canned pigeon peas.  I plan to buy several cases before we go so I can still make this in Seattle.  It is a family favorite.  Top of the list.  And pairs nicely with Jerk Chicken.


I always make this in my rice cooker.  I put the butter in first to melt in, then mix the wet ingredients/spices together, then throw the rice in and cook like I normally do in my rice cooker.  It is very flavorful and you don't need to put sauce on it.  Just eat it the way it is.  :)

1/2 can of pigeon peas (can freeze unused portion - but I double the recipe because we love it.)
1/2 can of coconut milk (can freeze unused portion - but I double the recipe because we love it.)
1 peg of garlic chopped
4 thyme sprigs (fresh is much better.  buy it fresh, leave it uncovered on your counter top until dry, then place in a closed container to use later.  But we don't eat the twigs - they are just to flavor.)
2 TBSP butter
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
3 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1 scallion
2 1/2 cups of white rice

To cook on the stove top:   Add water, pigeon peas, coconut milk, garlic, salt and seasoned salt to a sauce pan.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat, cook for 10 minutes.   Add thyme, scallion, butter and rice.  Bring to a boil and stir often.  Reduce heat to low and cover.  Cook until rice is done (approximately 30 minutes).  Lift rice with a fork and turn stove off.

No comments:

Post a Comment