Sunday, May 13, 2012

Springy Bread Rolls with Dipping Sauce

from Shannon Farr

My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE these.  I don't roll them around a skewer, I just roll them out like snakes, like you'd find at Olive Garden.  You have to try the dipping sauce at least once.  But I will tell you that my kids are very disappointed if I make the bread sticks and not the dipping sauce.  It is heavenly.

Breadsticks
12 Rhodes dinner rolls, thawed OR make your own bread dough
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 TBS parsley flakes
1 TBS Parmesan cheese, not fresh - from the can
1/4 tsp garlic salt

Press 2 rolls together and roll into a 16 inch rope. (If you like fat bread sticks, don't roll them out as long.  Just experiment to make them how you like them)

Wind rope around a skewer rod (metal work best and I spray it with Pam first), overlapping both ends so they don't unwind. (Don't go all the way to each end so you have a little room on each end to prop on pan.  I've used metal and wood.  Metal is easier since you don't have to soak in water and they come off easier after cooking.)

Put across the edges of a large sprayed baking sheet.  I use my Texas chocolate sheet cake pans.  The top and bottom of the skewers are up on top of the edges of the pan.  Nothing is touching the inside bottom of pan.

Repeat to make 5 more sticks. (using your own bread dough recipe will yield more than 6.  I made 42 of them with a big batch of homemade bread dough.)

Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 20-30 minutes.  (I'm not usually time-organized enough to do this.  I just pop them in and start baking.  BUT if you're using store bought dough, definitely allow the time to do it.  They need some time to raise.  And even homemade are fluffier with raising time.)

Bake 350 for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Mix butter, garlic salt, parsley flakes, and Parmesan cheese together.
Brush on hot bread sticks.

Dipping Sauce {for bread sticks}
1 - 8 ounce cream cheese
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (fresh)
1/2 cup real butter
1/2 cup milk
In a large sauce pan, stir together all 4 ingredients over low heat until
smooth.  (This is really good, but very rich.  We like the bread sticks dipped in the soup, but ya gotta try this dip at least once.)

No comments:

Post a Comment