Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sweet and Sour Chicken/Pork/Meatballs


 This is a recipe I grew up with, though I have tweaked it a little.

Take boneless, skinless chicken or pork.  Cut into pieces.  (I sometimes use tenderloins and do not cut them.)   
Sprinkle with garlic salt.  
Dip into 2 beaten eggs, and then coat with cornstarch.  
Deep fry until lightly browned (chicken does not have to be fully cooked).   
Put chicken in pan.  
Cover with sauce, bake at 325 for 1 hour.

Sauce - Mix over heat until sugar dissolves  (I usually multiply this recipe times four when I make it.  I tend to make a lot of chicken because it's a lot of work and I like leftovers.  Just make as much sauce as you need to cover the chicken or meatballs.)
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/3 cup white distilled vinegar
    dash of salt
    1/4 cup chicken stock (canned, or I'll just use water - especially when I'm doing meatballs.  If I'm cooking chicken but have no chicken stock, I'll use water and sometimes I'll throw a bouillon cube in.  1 bouillon cube per 1 cup water.)
    3-4 TBSP ketchup
    1 TBSP Soy Sauce
I add in a can of drained pineapple tidbits and some pineapple juice.  I don't know how much, I just kind of pour a little in.  I REALLY like it with pineapple juice in it.  
You can also add sauteed vegetables like the Chinese restaurants do.

I thicken the sauce some with cornstarch mixed in cold water.  You don't want to thicken it all the way when you are making breaded chicken, because the breading will thicken it some.  But, the sauce is really thin if you do nothing.

I don't use pineapple or pineapple juice for meatballs.  I will put it in a crock pot and cook for 2-3 hours.  This way the meatballs really get the flavor, and it makes the meatballs soft and tender.  I usually buy meatballs already made when they are on sale.

Serve over Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment